Off the coast of Cebu, is a small island that has become a favorite among divers and travelers alike. If you are searching for the road less travelled, then this is the place to find it. Discovered fairly recently in the 90’s, this island has gained a reputation for beautiful coral gardens, white sand beaches, a vast selection of marine life and several excellent dive spots. One of its most popular ‘locals’ are Thresher sharks which make the island unique since the island is one of the only known locations in the world that boast daily sightings of Thresher sharks in the area.
Geography – Found 8km off the north of Cebu, a walk or tour around the whole island would normally take around 3-4 hours.
History – The island was named Malapascua after Spanish explorers first arrived during a stormy Christmas day, hence Mal which means “bad” and Pascua which means Christmas.
Language – Cebuano, Tagalog, English
Transportation – You can normally get around the whole island on foot, however some locals do use their mopeds as transportation for hire.
Tips – Always make sure to bring some extra cash with you as there are no ATM’s on the island and very few hotels do exchange dollars.
Tourist To-Do List
After making your way up north and finding yourself on a little island paradise, it’s time to get busy doing nothing but soak up the sun. Here are a few ways to kick back, relax and commune with nature.
- Diving and Snorkeling – Malapascua Island is a diver’s dream come true with more dive points and snorkeling sites for you to choose from. The marine life available range from tiny colorful aquatic fish to the more exotic thresher sharks, devil rays, hammerhead sharks and manta rays.
- Malapascua Lighthouse – Enjoy a panoramic 360 degree view of the island by climbing the lighthouse.
- Island Hopping – Explore the neighboring islands which are just as beautiful such as Kalanggaman and Bantayan Islands for a day.
- Beach Bum – Take in the beautiful view by any of the beachfront resorts which are always ready to offer an ice-cold drink for a good price.
- Seafood Extravaganza – Fresh from the morning’s catch, the island has a wide selection of fresh seafood for you to enjoy. After all, when in Rome..